Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 12:07 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I would have thought the UK would have invested more in biofuel than they have. Their prices on gas are $15 per gallon in some places now, but they have always been rather high.
That is all tax. The govt. will tax biofuels too I am sure.
The true price of gas is the same worldwide. Local lower prices are due to subsidy by govt. Higher prices are caused by tax.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-19-2008, 12:31 AM   #22 (permalink)
Modified Driver

Frozen Tundra - '03 Toyota Tundra 4WD SR5 Access Cab
90 day: 26.51 mpg (US)

Red Skateboard - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 45.49 mpg (US)
It would be cool if they did pass the law legalizing industrial hemp... I can picture the conversation now....

Dude, dude, dude..... Dude.... That, officer, in my back yard... is... (chuckle, snort)... industrial hemp... Hehheh.... No, man, really... it totally is... Like, I'm not lyin' or nothin' man... You know what I mean? ....Dude... it's totally legal... Just like that fog machine I got in my living room....Hey, you wouldn't have any Visine on you, would you man?

Seriously though, there may be a future for hemp-fuel, but I don't think it's now. It is prolly a good idea to grow it for some of the other products, but I don't think it is the miracle stick that everybody makes it out to be. More than anything, I think it could best be used as a cheap vacation for anybody that wants an alternative to buying an expensive airline ticket to the islands.

"Hey man, you're pretty sunburned, did you go to the islands for your vacation?"

"No man, I just got wicked baked and passed out naked next to my industrial hemp garden."

It would be a lot easier than wrecking yourself to get one of those nice "pain med" vacations. Why do you think they call it "Club Med"?

So if it comes to legalizing hemp, yeah, I'll vote for it. Still, I don't expect that to solve all my problems
Old 06-19-2008, 12:40 AM   #23 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Back to topic?

_
_
Old 06-19-2008, 12:40 AM   #24 (permalink)
Modified Driver

Frozen Tundra - '03 Toyota Tundra 4WD SR5 Access Cab
90 day: 26.51 mpg (US)

Red Skateboard - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 45.49 mpg (US)
Actually... in lieu of having a backyard industrial hemp garden, I wonder what would happen if we all just fermented and distilled our lawn clippings...

Sorry to change the subject, but would that work?
Old 06-19-2008, 01:10 AM   #25 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
actually for oil production algae is the best, its %50 oil by body weight , there is a company in El passo TX, that grows it hydroponically in green houses and they said if they had a few thousand square miles of new Mexico desert the could grow enough fuel for the entire country..

best part is the algea only needs sunlight and co2 to grow.. it scrubs the air of COs and makes oil.. the other cool part is the other %50 of the algea's weight can be fermented into ethonol.. or made into compost whatever.. algea is just half oil and half biomass

As for hemp.. yeah it was accepted as currency for a while to pay your taxes.. I have heard that one reason it got outlawed was it was competing for paper pulp[ markets for making paper and the peopel who had lots of logging opperations lobbied it into being illegal..

however lets look at veggie oil burners.. 1 there attacked fro not paying fuel tax and in callifornia charged with transporting a hazardous substance... yeah you can drink your fuel and they call it hazardous..

Its about money they want to tax hybrid owners byt he mile as there using electricity to drive and not paying as much fuel tax.. but the gas engine makes the electricity.. Face it the government want money any way they can get it.. its all about greed.. and control.

Government and the prisons and the cops make huge amount of money of of the drug war .. its there cash cow.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:12 AM   #26 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twerp View Post
Actually... in lieu of having a backyard industrial hemp garden, I wonder what would happen if we all just fermented and distilled our lawn clippings...

Sorry to change the subject, but would that work?
Sure it would, however,

You'd be charged with a illegal distillery and fined and or jailed..

You slaves can't make your own fuel.. shesh we figured you know that after 200 years of increasing fascism. go back to sleep slave

Old 06-19-2008, 08:57 AM   #27 (permalink)
Bicycle Junky

Putsaround - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

The Commuter - '07 Trek 1000SL
90 day: 617.28 mpg (US)

Zippy - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
I was going to stay out of the rest of this discussion, for I'm not much of a person to dispute legalities of things. But since the topic was brought up (and then it might be a good idea to get back on the original topic some more), I just wanted to say this.

Do I think it's right to make marijuana illegal and not some other things, not really, because I've seen the effects of marijuana and I know they are similar to things that are legal, like alcohol, in the respect that they alter your perception slightly of the things around you, however, it is far less harmful to you then alcohol can be in the long run. However, that aside. I do have a HUGE problem with the taxing bonanza that the government has been having on these "alternative fuel" ideas.

Why the HELL would you tax someone for not creating waste? Is that a penalty of some sort for wanting to stay "clean"? It just doesn't make any sense. I read a story one time a while back (may have been posted here, I can't remember TBH) where a couple lived in a well kept, suburban neighborhood. But they were different from everyone else in the fact that they produced NO WASTE, so they didn't need a trash company to come pick up their garbage so they canceled their service with the company, only to later be sued by the company because apparently the company had a contract with everyone in the neighborhood that said they had to use THAT company for trash collection. The company didn't believe the family when they told them that they didn't produce any waste, so they weren't actually breaking the contract, they just didn't need it anymore.

However, rants aside and to conclude my post and make some people think a little bit (and I don't want to bring religion into this as I'm not a religious person, but I have to bring this up). If you have ever read the Christian Bible, read through the book of Revelations, even if you just skim it. Then look at some of the things that America is doing today with trying to keep people hooked onto oil and continue to stay "dirty" as it were. (compare the beast from the ground to oil, you'll see what I mean)
Old 06-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #28 (permalink)
Ex-lurker

Skeeter - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 35.55 mpg (US)
I haven't read through every post, since quite a few are pretty long and I'm wasting company time as-is so forgive me if this has been brought up:

I was watching a show on History or some other educational channel about hemp and how it could be used quite easily to replace many items such as cotton for clothing and corn for ethanol. The reason it (industrial hemp) is banned, so said the program, is because of the "war on drugs." Essentially there's a chance that some industrial hemp farm could grow non-industrial hemp and the federal agents wouldn't be able to tell the difference easily.

I'm all for industrial hemp usage especially in paper and textiles. I'll also agree that algae is a much better option for fossil fuel replacement.

Should pot be legalized? I'm a bit on the fence about that. I know a good number of people who don't abuse it and are really good people. My downstairs neighbor, on the other hand, is an abuser and isn't worth his weight in compost but I also don't think THC is the only thing in his system.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

pontiac trans am - '00 pontiac firebird trans am

jeep 1 - '02 jeep wrangler
90 day: 16.76 mpg (US)

jeep 2 - '07 jeep wrangler x
90 day: 19.39 mpg (US)

Toyota - '09 Toyota Corolla lx
im all for industrial hemp, and i have some ideas about marijuana. i personally am not fond of drug abuse, and that is a large issue even with alcohol. abusers of any drug should have strict penalties assesed against them but other than that a complete ban is not the correct answer to this problem.
-john

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
hemp