View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #189 (permalink)
seifrob
Permanent Lurker

Dáčenka - '10 Dacia / Renault Logan MCV 1.5 dCi (X90 k9k)
90 day: 47.08 mpg (US)
I know this should go into hybrid forum, but I cant resist. I am little sceptical about all the hybrid power extasy. From this page: EPower Engine Systems; Exploring The Limits Of Hybrid Truck Efficiency - John Petersen - Seeking Alpha it seems that the biggest advantage in hybrid over traditional power is that engine runs under constant load at ideal RPMs. Something Shepherd777 can achieve with his 13 speed manual too.
Allright, there is regenerative braking. And fuel cut off in deceleration.

So here is my question. Is hybrid really so much better over decent "traditionally" designed drivetrain and driving with brain, so it is worth the increased overall complexity, need to change whole battery pack every 5 years, need for specialized service, risk of being underpowered when in emergency and so on? I am just curious.

I assume that due nature of hybrid running in constant RPMs even a trigger happy heavy footed driver gets good mileage. How about robotised stick-shift that keeps motor in ideal RPMs but takes a load off the driver, still enabling him to choose the gear manually? (something like this: http://www.tatratrucks.com/underwood...norgren_en.pdf)