View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
Sounds like you need to move everything down a gear. Where you formerly used 4th, use 3rd now. (2000 rpm @ 40 mph is where my 4th gear was). Where you used to use 5th, now use 4th. And the new 5th is all bonus!
That's what I just experienced getting to work. Was really neat, and strange.

Quote:
I expect P&G will still be useful. I do 4th gear pulses regularly, so it's not just about coping with a short top gear. It's about alternately using optimal BSFC and free coasting. What it should give you is better highway speed options whether cruising or p&g'ing. Sounds nice.
I suspect you'll be correct, but the spacing between 2cd and 3rd is really awkward. If I shift from 2 to 3 at 2000 rpms, I come in at 1300 in third. Yuk. So I got up to 2300 or so in 2cd and get 1500+ in third.

Quote:
When I swapped to the Fit, I went backwards in this area. (Honda went backwards, that is ) Now I'm at 2800 rpm @ 60 mph.
Sorry to hear that. The Fit is a nice little car. Having done the transmission swap now, I think a person with the right fabrication skills could possible figure out how to mate a taller (older, I guess) tranny to the Fit engine. Just spit balling...

Gotta go... at work... class soon...
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.