View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 03:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
jeff88
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Another Kill Switch Idea

So I was wondering if this was possible and what it would take to do it...

I was thinking about having a kill switch (either a button or put it into neutral, more on that in the next paragraph), which will kill all, but one of the cylinders. When at a light I can hit the switch, which will kill 3 cylinders, but leave one on. When the light turns green, the other 3 cylinders will come on when I step on the gas, either all at once, or individually as needed (like a certain RPM count turns another one on, then the next, then the last). If I can make it to my destination without turning the other cylinders on then great, if not then I have the power of the cylinders to get me up to speed, but they won't be used if I don't need them.

For the neutral kill switch, I am thinking it would need at least two inputs. The first is obviously the transmission in neutral, but the second is RPM speed. If I am at speed and RPMs are say 1500, then it will not kill the engine, but at lets say 900 or less RPMs then it will work.

My question is: is this possible?, how do I do it?, and would it save me fuel in the long run (i.e. does the load of one cylinder powering the whole car without the "help" of the other 3 cylinders negate the savings of the other 3 cylinders being off?

Thanks for your help and insight!
Jeff

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.