View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
jeff88
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Ok so it sounds like I came up with another unicorn idea. What if I ran the same setup, but killed all the cylinders. The 'key' to reactivate them would either be putting it in 'D' or putting in in 'D' and pressing the accelerator. Then they would all go back on like normal. Or is this no different then a normal kill switch?

Would it need a heavier flywheel if it only ran one cylinder in neutral and all of them in drive?

Going back to wmjinman's point, how do the modern deactivated engines hold the valves open? Computer tells it to stay open, but what actually stops gravity from holding them down? Also do these vehicles have a camshaft? With yhe ability to stop the valve action I would think the nudge (excuse the improper name) on the shaft would need to be out of the way, so it doesn't force the valve down.

Thanks!
Jeff

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.