View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Calibrating distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
The VX/CX transmission turns 2000rpm at 100kph (62mph) in 5th gear in a VX/CX with stock 13" wheels. You hypermile this transmission as you would any other manual transmission. Except when climbing a hill, shift up before rpms reach 1500-2000, and freewheel coast as much as possible given your driving conditions.
I just got an odometer reading of roughly 11.280 (almost 11.3) miles on a thirteen mile homeward commute route, as measured using ridewithgps.com, which takes elevation changes into account. What is that, a 14% under count? I can't believe it. I don't believe it. I am running 14" wheels, but this is too much of a difference. So I'll track it again tomorrow, and probably the day after, across both legs of my commute.

The VSS reports data that the instruments use to represent both miles and miles per hour, and I am running the CX VSS that came with the tranny. Maybe the VSS gear is a different size?

[EDIT: I DISCOVERED A MAPPING ERROR THAT EXAGGERATED THE DISTANCE OF THE ROUTE. THE ROUTE IN 12 MILES, NOT 13, AND SO THE DIFFERENCE IS IN THE AREA OF 5%, NOT 14!]
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 03-28-2013 at 12:23 PM..