View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #126 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovr41991 View Post
Really? Which sending unit are you using? I am using the OEM 97 CX sending unit and mine seems to be nearly dead on. 14 inch tires with stock tires size as well. I have the HX cluster installed so I could have a tach, but that should not make any difference. Mine is within 1-2 miles of a GPS for distance traveled. I think I remember reading that the DX sedan transmissions were geared slightly worse than the hatchback, but I don't know if that would mean it would have a differen sending unit.
Right now I just am using the 93 CX's VSS unit that was already in the trans, but I have been learning a lot from a thread I started over on honda-tech.com (awesome site, really). Though the 1993 CX was a 13" wheel and that should make a difference, there is no way my 14% figure is correct... around 2% is more likely. I gotta try again.

You are right, from what I have read online, that the sixth gen DX hatch had the same gearing as the CX and HX of that generation... the DX coupes and sedans were a bit shorter at 4.058 FD. But the final drive, the VSS unit, and the gearing generally should have no impact, I'm told on honda-tech in a way that is easily believed. So I'll chart another route tomorrow and continue testing to see what I get. Maybe the old VSS is just lousy... it has been a little bouncy sometimes.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.