View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 03:45 AM   #64 (permalink)
sidecar
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
That's just to convert from a transverse to longitudinal layout. The only transverse VW installs I know of are in motorcycles.

One transmission problem: One probably would need to build a recessed firewall—a box intruding into the front footwell. Since it's a blue-sky proposal, I'll specify replacing the stock tailcone/transmission mount and shift rod with Arduino-controlled electric solenoids. That should shave off ~6".

The Scuderi patents linked to mean it would be a owner-built one-off. (I've seen some suggest it's run in Brayton cycle, like a jet engine) But using a compressed air hybrid system means deleting the electric starter. And with a (BMW patent) electric turbocharger, delete the alternator.

Essentially, a plug-in compressed air hybrid with onboard recharging via the gas power assist.
I think from a clean sheet point of view I would still favour electric drive for its versatility.

It is possible to drive via wheel motors and controlled via a chopper controller. Which substantially dispenses with the inefficiencies of any transmission, with wheel motors possibly in the order of 96% efficient on their own. But agreeably somewhat less as a system when considering batteries/accumulators, power generation efficiencies etc, but nonetheless calculable.

Beyond that primarily the differences are more manageable because they are more or less modular, as opposed to developing a hybrid technology for which their is a smaller pool of research.

The issue is at its core, is the difference between the electric drive for automobile manufacture and a sophisticated IC engine/transmission system. One is basically plug in bits and cookie cutter technology, the other requires cast infrastructure and high order mech design skilling, turbines, thermo dynamics etc.

And this is why ultimately the electric vehicle no matter its form, will be the victor over the IC engined car.