View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #129 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakitaDiesel View Post
Nice info, might look into this, esp. running no O2 period & save 75% of HX driving headaches & cost down the line. I've got another (slightly off-thread) question pertaining to California98Civic's problem. I recently acquired what I was told is a '92 Civic CX trans with a bad input bearing for $25. Now, I'm running a '98 Civic DX Hatch, HX everything important (engine, trans, VSS, Cluster, ECU) so could I fix the CX trans & just swap the HX VSS into it, put it all back in the car & be where you were at before the tune? The main question is will a '92 CX trans + '98 HX VSS = same odo/speedometer readout with all other variables constant? I'm also curious as to whether the shop could tune my other lean burn mule, an '89 CRX HF + '95 VX (D15Z1 running bits)...

Thanks,
Mak
Neither the VSS nor the black or white speedo gears in the transmission should make any difference in terms of your odometer and speedometer. I learned about it on honda-tech.com (a great site, though with too many "haters" making static you'll have to ignore). My earlier calculation of a 14% under count was completely wrong, due to a mapping error. Two runs with accurate mapping since have revealed about a 5.5% under count, which must be due entirely to tire sizes. When I check tire sizes on tirerack.com I find there are 4-6% differences between 13" and 14" tires depending on brand (my tires are not on the site).

Below, two pics posted by 98EG8 on honda-tech.com document the "black" and "white" speedo gears to which the VSS's gear connects. He took these in his shop himself, and although the measurement in the pic is different because the caliper slipped as he tried to get a decent photo, the measurement had actually been identical: 90.6 mm for each. So all speed and odometer measuring instruments are THE SAME across the 92-00 D-Series transmission. Only your tire size will change the reading.

You can read my honda-tech.com thread on this yourself and notice especially 94EG8's comments in post #19 and #20. But the critical statement is: "All '92 - '00 D-series transmissions use one of two speedo gears. EX/Si/HX use a the black speedo gear. Everything else uses the white speedo gear. All models use the same VSS gear. The speedo gear is pressed directly onto the differential carrier. The transmission gearing is totally irrelevant since this comes after it. For all intents and purposes the speedo gear is directly connected to the axles. Transmission gearing absolutely does not have any impact on the speedometer/odometer."

My guess is that Honda resolved the problem of matching the speedo readouts between the 13" fifth gen wheels and the 14" sixth gen wheels through tire brand and tire revs per mile and then simply accepted "close enough" speed/distance readouts as "accurate" enough for mom and pop.

Black speedo gear (94EG8 photo):

White speedo gear (94EG8 photo):
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.