View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 05:11 AM   #20 (permalink)
RustyLugNut
Master EcoModder

Name ONE emission device on your 50 state Vibe that is NOT worth the cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...sorry, but those "insignificant" costs due to CARB and/or EPA have affected every car I've bought, and I do not feel that I should be MADE to pay for the problems of others, especially when I don't even live in their states. NIMBY is part territorial and part parochial...
Let's go back to 1960's shall we?. No emission controls at all. At least where you live out in Tucson. Now, when trucks and rail transport cross into other states . . . How about your personal vehicles? Why don't we make it simple. Why don't you make it law that you breath the emissions out of your personal vehicles tailpipe, and I'll breath the emissions out of mine. Except that is impossible isn't it? The air in Tucson affects the air quality EVERYWHERE! If 300 million Americans believed as you, we would live in a cesspool of a continent. Multiply that by 7 billion people and where will that leave us in a short time?

Name ONE singular 50 state emission requirement that has been such an awful burden to you? Digital control of fuel, timing, power transfer, catalytic efficiency . . . these seem more like performance advances. Or do you want to go back to points and carburetors? I've struggled with Holley Double pumpers and Carter Thermo Quads. I'll take digital MPI and OBD2 any day.

I live in San Diego and run a business in the AQMD controlled LA basin . Everything is controlled down to what comes out of an aerosol can. Off road and on road diesels, lawn care equipment, barbeque fluid . . . and on and on. Draconian measures that are needed because of our unique situation as the "sunshine fishbowl". Every little bit of pollution is trapped and magnified. These measures are not all to be foisted on your area. To say so or even imply as such is disingenuous and exaggerated theater.

Measurable amounts of air pollution now cross the pacific rim to our shores. "No man is an island," is a saying that is ever more true today than ever before. Many of your emission problems are my problems when measured as a whole in the context of the biosphere that is our earth.
The Following User Says Thank You to RustyLugNut For This Useful Post:
mechman600 (04-02-2013)