View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 05:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Rick: I don't think there's any need to reset the ECU - a knock sensor is an immediate reaction type of thing.

gteclass: good point if you have a manual transmission.
Thanks Darin -- now I won't have to lookup the radio code . Also, I can force somewhat of a bog with the manu-matic shift, in 5th, TC lockup, and at the bottom of the speed band (I think it's 50 mph -- I don't drive it all that often, so not sure). I'll be curious as to how it "acts".

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
All the gasoline came from the same refinery and the only variation was the ammount of ethanol mixed in.
So do they use Xylene anymore? I used to "make" my own racing fuel just by adding xylene to a tank. I was told (at the time -- 2003) that each brand dumps their own additives into the tanker truck just before it leaves for the stations.

What I find interesting is buying gas in the State of Iowa. Mid-Grade is the cheapest (often by 10-20 cents) because it's 10% ethanol (and likely subsidized). 87-octane is the next most expensive, followed by 91.

The first time I saw it, I thought they were having a "Sale" on mid-grade. I don't know if folks remember, many Amoco stations used to have all grades the same price on like Tuesdays or something.

Truthfully, I haven't been bold enough to try it to see if FE plummets (plus, I've been turned off by the current ripple running through the world as a result of ethanol production (and locally with . I do a lot of driving in Iowa

Maybe I'll give it a shot on the mid-grade to see what happens. I often hear of a certain percentage of Ethanol being a good thing for FE.

RH77

_
_