View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,655 Posts
Citroen

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The two of you have similar depth of experience. You could talk directly to each other and let me be the fly on the wall. I'd love that, especially if it's about pneumatic attitude control. How much do yall think could be done with 1000cfpm of heated air acting as a trim tab?

Julian -- Thanks for taking that in the spirit it was intended. I thought it sounded a little cranky.

aerohead -- Thanks. That's the study that inspired me. 4 sides for low drag, top and bottom for high drag and left or right for steering, as I recall.

Here's a built example:
J.J.Cornish III,chief aerodynamicist for Lockheed Aircraft a ways back did a paper (I don't have it) which Alex Tremulis referred to in the 1980s,discussing suction slots on automobiles.
On the latter pages of Paul Van Valkenburgh's (sp?) book 'Race Car Engineering' they have an image which may be from Cornish.It is a Corvette model,maybe in in the Cal Tech wind tunnel,with external suction provided through the ground plane of the tunnel,routed through the model to power the slot.
The Corvette is a notchback,but you can see the smoke filaments follow right around the the roof and onto the rear deck.Just like the the flaps Prandtl had developed in the 1930s.
Tremulis thought,that by 2000,all cars would be using this technology.
I loaned this book out and lost it when my friend died and it disappeared with his estate belongings.So I can't post it.
This technology is the real deal,but the power to run it is the limiting factor so far.I've never pursued it and don't know much about the power requirements.
Coanda's aircraft never flew,so I'm not sure about his 'effect.'