Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Julian Edgar -- Oh, OK. I was thinking of something like the one on the left.

albyneau -- AutoSpeed - Technology, Efficiency, Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead
Georgia Tech University continues to research 'blown' boat-tailing.As of a decade ago or so,the 'pump' power required to create the effect exceeded the power savings from it.
[citation needed] I'm sort of banking on the fact that the air is pumped already w/ maybe some additional hp absorbed in the Coanda nozzles. 40 sq. inches at the engine tin at 1:1 would be a slot 3/4" wide and 50+" long.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-07-2013, 04:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

This is not well punctuated. I'm *not* suggesting you wrote it. It would be a good opportunity for an unordered list.
Thanks - now fixed
Old 04-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
Quote:
Julian Edgar -- Oh, OK. I was thinking of something like the one on the left.

albyneau -- AutoSpeed - Technology, Efficiency, Performance

[citation needed] I'm sort of banking on the fact that the air is pumped already w/ maybe some additional hp absorbed in the Coanda nozzles. 40 sq. inches at the engine tin at 1:1 would be a slot 3/4" wide and 50+" long.
For the article,search GOOGLE for 'Flying Low-Drag Trucks-Georgia Tech..........
Old 04-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The two of you have similar depth of experience. You could talk directly to each other and let me be the fly on the wall. I'd love that, especially if it's about pneumatic attitude control. How much do yall think could be done with 1000cfpm of heated air acting as a trim tab?

Julian -- Thanks for taking that in the spirit it was intended. I thought it sounded a little cranky.

aerohead -- Thanks. That's the study that inspired me. 4 sides for low drag, top and bottom for high drag and left or right for steering, as I recall.

Here's a built example:
Old 04-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
Citroen

Quote:
The two of you have similar depth of experience. You could talk directly to each other and let me be the fly on the wall. I'd love that, especially if it's about pneumatic attitude control. How much do yall think could be done with 1000cfpm of heated air acting as a trim tab?

Julian -- Thanks for taking that in the spirit it was intended. I thought it sounded a little cranky.

aerohead -- Thanks. That's the study that inspired me. 4 sides for low drag, top and bottom for high drag and left or right for steering, as I recall.

Here's a built example:
J.J.Cornish III,chief aerodynamicist for Lockheed Aircraft a ways back did a paper (I don't have it) which Alex Tremulis referred to in the 1980s,discussing suction slots on automobiles.
On the latter pages of Paul Van Valkenburgh's (sp?) book 'Race Car Engineering' they have an image which may be from Cornish.It is a Corvette model,maybe in in the Cal Tech wind tunnel,with external suction provided through the ground plane of the tunnel,routed through the model to power the slot.
The Corvette is a notchback,but you can see the smoke filaments follow right around the the roof and onto the rear deck.Just like the the flaps Prandtl had developed in the 1930s.
Tremulis thought,that by 2000,all cars would be using this technology.
I loaned this book out and lost it when my friend died and it disappeared with his estate belongings.So I can't post it.
This technology is the real deal,but the power to run it is the limiting factor so far.I've never pursued it and don't know much about the power requirements.
Coanda's aircraft never flew,so I'm not sure about his 'effect.'
Old 04-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Added Julian's book to my Amazon wish list. It's basically a list of what I plan to get.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Amazon reviews:

5.0 out of 5 stars My Bible!, May 23, 2013

This review is from: Amateur Car Aerodynamics Sourcebook: For everyone interested in road car aerodynamics

Very practical information based on actual experience on improving the aerodynamics of cars. Compulsory reading for anyone doing this. Also covers basic theory at a level that practical people can understand. Quite readable, too. Has helped me get another 10% mileage from my Prius. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you?

4.0 out of 5 stars This book is great for the basic enthusiast., May 4, 2013

This book is different to the normal aerodynamics book. Others books focus on CFD or wind tunnel testing with lot's of math theory. Which is great if you have the big bucks but next to useless for the backyarder.

This book however give a practical how too for the enthusiast. Shows practical and simply ways to test ideas and show that not all the ideas work. The book concentrates on road going sedans with the focus on drag rather than just downforce.

Recommended.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It's the same in Seamonkey and Chrome, the only two browsers I have open at the moment.

I hear the VW XL-1 sucks air in in the wake and exhausts it on top. Would that be an example of what aerohead is describing?

Reply  Post New Thread