View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
flying kurmaster
EcoModding Lurker

this is what I got and why

Sorry, I didn't read all your post, too long for me, this one might be as well. I have owned 18 bikes all up the last 15 have been scooters they have ranged between 150cc and 500cc I am not a fan of smaller scoots but I can see why some people get them. Currently I have 3 one vintage 1967 150cc vespa sits in shed most of the time. I use, 2 x 2005 Vespas both GT200 last of the carbed models for ease of maintenance. I do all my own. One is in Canada with my camper; one here in NZ. I like scooters because they are visible, great storage capacity and good weather protection. Both have windscreens, top boxes, underseat storage, one has a front leg shield rack the other has a step through rack. I can easily carry 6 grocery bags or store my helmets and riding gear securely away. I have toured long distances on scooters loaded with camping gear,food, tools, spares and clothing. I toured 1/2 way around Australia, top to bottom of NZ, around Italy, been to Alaska, across Canada and Parts of the US. The GT200 averages 32 to 33 kms per ltr about 80mpg imp. without hypermiling. tops speed of about 140kph I run all day between 90 and 100kph. rear tire changes every 9,000kms front 18000 kms, belts 20,000kms oil every 6000kms. I have a lap apron that covers your legs and captures warm air from the radiator vents for comfort in rain and cold weather. With the windscreen and the lap apron I think I gain fuel economy as they improve aero, I have never tested it but it looks that way to me. i have an idea that if I rode with a cape attached with velcro to my shoulders back around my top box I would really make some aero gains. I prefer light colour scooters to be seen, white, yellow, tan etc...hope that gives you some insight into scooters. I figured that I have to travel 2500kms a year to justify the cost of rego and insurance (liability only) instead of using my van here in NZ, less mileage in Canada as the camper get lower fe. this is for fuel only, maintenance extra. cheers