Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

First define your transportation needs. How many miles per year are solo commuting, carrying cargo, or other people? Compare average annual costs of operation over the life of the vehicle. Include the value of your time as a cost of convenience. This way you can get a comparison based on cost per mile. Up to 25 miles a streamlined mountain bike may best if you can maintain 20 mph. Renting a small truck such as a Ford Ranger or a van may be needed a few times a year.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-25-2013, 12:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in Texas View Post
I built a two wheel trailer some years ago to pull behind my Big Suzuki and it was not a big problem to haul it. Stopping it was another matter if it was loaded too heavy, but as long as I had time and space, it was not a problem. So take stopping into consideration with any trailer behind a motorcycle and especially if it's behind a lightweight scooter!
Brake control in a trailer pulled by a 4-wheel car is already somehow critical. In a motorcycle, it's even more problematic. No wonder motorcycle trailers were forbidden in some countries.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:48 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Teresa - '04 BMW F650CS
Motorcycle
90 day: 80.53 mpg (US)

The YARDIS - '99 Toyota Yaris 1.0
90 day: 59.52 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault_megane_dci View Post
The good thing about 250's is they get good mpg (80's) even trashing them.
In my experience, if you really want to get 80+ mpg(US) with a 250, it does matter how you ride.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,453 Posts

Saw it this Friday afternoon in my neighborhood. Has a 4-stroke single-cylinder 250cc water-cooled engine, but top speed is limited to 40MPH
Old 03-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Here's my one wheel trailer. I took it for a test ride last week and to show it off a little to my riding buddies. (That's why the pictures are a night!) It tows great and hard to tell it's back there.
I'm sure once it's loaded heavy it will be a different experience, so that's why I upgraded the brakes on my bike. I ride this bike solo 100%, so it won't be much different than trying to stop with a passenger in the back seat. Eventually I will add a brake to the trailer that I can operate from the handlebars. Thinking a small Go Kart Rotor and manual disc brake.
(did this trick with my 2 wheel trailer years ago) A decompression lever above the front brake lever made it easy to operate both brakes with one hand.

Maybe after I get the engine rebuilt on my 74 Honda 125 I'll build a hitch and try pulling it with that bike.
Something to fetch groceries with on the cheap!

ps: Oh, and for those purist who will study the hitch in the first picture and scratch the heads, Im going to head off that question real fast. The trailer hitch pin (the verticle silver pin) allows the side to side rotation of the trailer and the hitch rotates up and down on the cross bar on a reinforced sleeve and even has a grease zerk on the back side. Its a 2 axis hitch. This makes the trailer lean in the corners with the bike! (In case you haven't figured that art out yet)

Just my brain thinking outside the box again!

pss: The cross bar hitch on the bike rack is removeable too. Changing tires would be a bear if it didn't. 2 pins and it slides out of the receivers located under the saddle bag racks and off it comes.

psss: All rear lights are LED's BTY! I did upgrade the generator on the bike but the LED's last so much longer than incandesant bulbs.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying kurmaster View Post
you can certainly get trailers for scooters, but the economics of motorcycles when you factor in maintenance, insurance etc... don't add up. I own three scooters currently and have owned more then a dozen, if your question is "what is the best vehicle economically to get around in all weather conditions and have a payload capacity" then I would say get a small car, IMHO
Finally resuming my thread after two months of computer issues.

People always quote insurance but when I checked for myself, insurance for a motorcycle (even a faster one) at least for me is lower than the cheapest car I can run. Maintenance i'll agree is a bit of a question mark though - in general I would think it would be much less - less oil to change, less parts to rebuild in the future, etc. I assumed scooters would be cheaper to maintain than motorcycles because they're sold as cheap to run but maybe that's not so. Tires seem to be the main sticking point that I can tell because lots of miles will use those up fast, maybe that's the main thing running more expensive than motorcycles. Any suggestions on longest life inexpensive motorcycle tires for commuting? (since i'm now drifting away from any scooter plans thanks to the advice further below)

Cars are 'more efficient' for this runabout use it seems but shouldn't be - seeing enough people riding two up, all i'm seeking is to put that weight behind me instead of on the back of a bike. Partially i'm venting frustration here because just hearing so many people say scooters are inexpensive transportation, it's more like I don't see how unless your only riding the tiniest and dont need to move even a single grocery bag OR unless your modifying it. The larger ones I don't see how the economics works out so I was wondering if there was some secret benefit I wasn't aware of.

Note the OR up there - I guess if i'm going to make something to work the biggest thing seems to be aero - so i'm accepting more that if I want to have really good 70mph efficiency on a motorcycle im probably going to have to aeromod it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTXA View Post
People tour the world with small motorcycles equipped with panniers and a top trunk. You can tote a surprisingly large amount of stuff with this set up. It is also much safer than pulling a trailer.
What I often find myself having to move is something physically bulky but very light. Examples of some random loads in the last week i've grabbed all under 100lbs but too bulky to fit in something like a pannier includes a couple of Rock Band drum kits, a stack of 4ft x 4ft styrofoam sheets I was going to make movable insulation panels for my basement windows for, a lightweight 3 shelf book shelf, a small kitchen table, and some chairs. I grab stuff like this all the time though they aren't one time pickups (ie you have a kitchen table so you dont need to get another), it's like I give them to friends or trade them for something else that maybe I need, like some textbooks, or help painting the house, etc. I find lots of cheap or free stuff useful to me or someone I know that as long as the gas to haul it is cheap enough or it's on a route I already drive is worth getting.

Yet all of these things would have fit in a 3x3 box trailer maybe even a 2x3 behind a motorcycle (the styrofoam just bungee corded on top) which also for instance hauls enough groceries since i like to get it all at one time (sure i can put "a few" groceries into a backpack, but why make ten trips to get what I need using more gas?) that I can credibly use a motorcycle to replace a huge amount of commuting and routine trips during the warmer half of the year. Anything heavy enough just requires the car but anything of enough quantity makes gas less of a marginal cost for the pickup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault_megane_dci View Post
That being said, if you are making a passion of hauling stuff around, you're probably not a motorbike kind of guy ...
No i'm just like those guys in asian countries that make a Cub 90 do things beyond the normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
First define your transportation needs. How many miles per year are solo commuting, carrying cargo, or other people? Compare average annual costs of operation over the life of the vehicle. Include the value of your time as a cost of convenience. This way you can get a comparison based on cost per mile. Up to 25 miles a streamlined mountain bike may best if you can maintain 20 mph. Renting a small truck such as a Ford Ranger or a van may be needed a few times a year.
I think i've done this in other threads, my biggest PITA is that where I live i'm cut off from most of the city by a river crossed only nearby by an interstate only highway that I can't take a bike on or even walk. There's one commute run an electric bike is doable for because the direction I have to go in to find a bike-crossable bridge is on the way anyways, but for most things I need highway ability to cross that dang bridge. I'm on fixed income. During the week time is worth more than money because I just can't hock the extra hour of commuting time vs the minimum once I get back into full time college. During the weekend money is worth more than time, and going slow to pick up my random craigslist finds is okay though since I mostly only get free or very cheap stuff - I just decide whats most worth going for and get that, aware I can't get everything. I'm the designated "stuff moving person" in a type of intentional community i'm trying to be a part of, this is why I have a cargo moving requirement about 10x a normal person, yet what I volunteer into that has to be at minimum cost so far because that's my contribution, whereas others are contributing other things to prepare to build an off-grid "no bills" house and such hopefully starting in a year or two, until then it's collecting things for that future that get stored until.

I've run all the spreadsheet figures of cost per mile and similar over and over again and they mostly lead me in the same direction. Yes the things i'm able to pick up are worth it if I can keep the fuel price low enough, maintenance I do myself and for me insurance even on several vehicles is cheap (I live in an area that adding another car as long as older and cheap is like $25/mo insurance extra, and adding a motorcycle is low as $10/mo) so yes, I really really have gone over this, over and over and over, and I keep coming up with the same answers. :P A Geo Metro will become my normal 'car', an assisted cargo bicycle will become the shortest range/not crossing the highway runabout, so there's a good reason why i'm spending so much mental energy on trying to explore the 80-140mpg region to figure out a solution that works. The number of small item pickups too large for a backpack but suited for a small trailer is enough to pay for itself if i'm getting around 75mpg or better and the higher I stretch it the further I can go to get stuff. Although i'll be exploring car modifications like boattails to stretch the car use up, similar to finding that I can stretch assisted bicycles to replace 50cc scooter use afterall, i'm still trying to better position where and when a motorcycle can and will make economic sense. Maybe in the end i'll abandon it afterall but for now i'm still exploring, because the simple use of a trailer itself makes all the difference.

I'm sorry to be so long winded but yes I really have thought of this, analyzed this, looked at this, and similar, and yes it does pay for itself at my level of use IF I can use a trailer and get better than car levels of MPG while doing so. The other extra costs are negligible.

PS - to make a bit of clarification, what makes all my little cargo trips worthwhile is a simple equation. 1 what does this cost right now to pick up and store? 2 if I don't get this today, what can I reasonably expect to get it for later? 3 what would the cost of temp work/2nd job be, in total time spent, to buy it later rather than picking it up right now? If the total time spent to pick up now even riding slow is less than working for it later (work at a temp agency, minus taxes, to make the after-tax cost of the item bought later) then I get it. If it's not I don't. For instance a table for $5, plus $5 in gas, and an hour to go pick up driving slow - $10 + one hour time total cost. Lets say i'm really bottom of barrel and my after tax time earns $5/hr. If the table is really worth $30 to get later it would take me six hours working later to get it, instead of the three hours to get now thus saving $15 or about one month of motorcycle insurance for me. Deals that really are deals are worth picking up provided it actually is something I actually need or am trading to someone else for whom it's worth more than what I paid. But only if the marginal costs of the pickup are low enough.

It's also why those trying to sell me in other threads on a cummins turbodiesel to handle everything up to the largest loads i've ever wanted to move (10k trailers) won't work as my only vehicle, it makes sense to segment my up to 30-50k possible yearly miles of commuting and loads as long as there are enough loads in each category with enough long term money saved on things needed anyway to justify the vehicle's total cost of ownership, especially when there are tertiary factors mitigating. ("free" parking for 2 cars/trucks in town, 1 motorcycle and a few bikes, roommate needing to use 2nd vehicle routinely in exchange for social credit, doing my own maintenance = less cost on that figure, my cheaper than average insurance, etc.)

Last edited by stillsearching; 04-13-2013 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: always clarifying
Old 04-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

this is what I got and why

Sorry, I didn't read all your post, too long for me, this one might be as well. I have owned 18 bikes all up the last 15 have been scooters they have ranged between 150cc and 500cc I am not a fan of smaller scoots but I can see why some people get them. Currently I have 3 one vintage 1967 150cc vespa sits in shed most of the time. I use, 2 x 2005 Vespas both GT200 last of the carbed models for ease of maintenance. I do all my own. One is in Canada with my camper; one here in NZ. I like scooters because they are visible, great storage capacity and good weather protection. Both have windscreens, top boxes, underseat storage, one has a front leg shield rack the other has a step through rack. I can easily carry 6 grocery bags or store my helmets and riding gear securely away. I have toured long distances on scooters loaded with camping gear,food, tools, spares and clothing. I toured 1/2 way around Australia, top to bottom of NZ, around Italy, been to Alaska, across Canada and Parts of the US. The GT200 averages 32 to 33 kms per ltr about 80mpg imp. without hypermiling. tops speed of about 140kph I run all day between 90 and 100kph. rear tire changes every 9,000kms front 18000 kms, belts 20,000kms oil every 6000kms. I have a lap apron that covers your legs and captures warm air from the radiator vents for comfort in rain and cold weather. With the windscreen and the lap apron I think I gain fuel economy as they improve aero, I have never tested it but it looks that way to me. i have an idea that if I rode with a cape attached with velcro to my shoulders back around my top box I would really make some aero gains. I prefer light colour scooters to be seen, white, yellow, tan etc...hope that gives you some insight into scooters. I figured that I have to travel 2500kms a year to justify the cost of rego and insurance (liability only) instead of using my van here in NZ, less mileage in Canada as the camper get lower fe. this is for fuel only, maintenance extra. cheers

Reply  Post New Thread