View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #143 (permalink)
turbovr41991
Master EcoModder

Civic CX/HX - '97 Honda Civic CX/HX
Team Honda
90 day: 63.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat_man View Post
New to this thread and not a mechanic by any stretch or even a Honda guy so please bear with me. I have read all 14 pages though and kind of get the general jist of this awesome swap.

Can you tell me (and everyone else that has made it this far) what your current set up is and why you chose the options you did? Engine/trans/ecu/tires/etc? You may have to dumb it down a bit for guys like me though.

Also,and this may get answered in the responses from above, is the HX trans the "new" VX? What is the ratio in each gear? What is your final drive ratio and are there any more options to improve on that or are you "mechanically" as good as it gets? Or at least as good as it gets for being a practical daily driver.

This has been one of the most interesting threads (for me at least) and I don't even know anything about Hondas. I wonder if this could all be put into an early CRX. 85-88 HF's seem to be really light and, not having ever put them into the template, I wonder if the CRX is better or worse than the DX in the aero arena.

I know this would be a long reply (if you even have the time) so I'll just keep checking back. I can't wait to see what your numbers can be after some aero mods. Absolutely great swap and pictures and write-up. Congrats! I'll be watching this one for a long time.
Thanks for the interest and the patience to read the entire thread.

There are several other people doing this well if not better. Most people are using the VX engine and trans setup there. I honestly was considering swapping in a VX engine into my car, but HX’s seemed to be more common. I also liked the fact that it had a little more power and could maintain speed a little better on the highway.

The current setup on the car is:
Engine: a stock D16Y5 from a 97 Civic HX
Transmission: Stock trans from 94 Civic VX
ECU: Chipped P06 with Neptune software. (Still testing this out, seeing great potential)
Tires: Michelin Defender. (Mild LRR tire but has 90k tread life.)
Others: HX wheels, upper & lower grill block, antenna relocated to inside, side mirrors relocated to inside, kill switch, etc.

This setup would work easily in a HF CRX. I believe you could even keep the stock HF trans as it should have better gearing than the VX trans.

I would have explored lighter/ sportier options for vehicles, but I needed to keep a back seat for my family. Otherwise I could have explored the options with a CRX, Del Sol, or Insight.

I guess to really answer your aero question, we need to know what year and model DX you are comparing it to. 92 DX hatchbacks has a different CD than a 96 DX hatchback. Similarly, hatchbacks vs. Coupe or sedan have different CD’s. A lot of times you can find these swaps already done in the for sale section on here. I think in the past year there have been several VX swapped Del Sols and two swapped CRXs

Thanks again for all the kind words. Really looking forward to doing some more aero on the car, but realistically, It is probably a month out before I have the time to start the project. I will be sure to post lots of pictures though.