View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #734 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

These have always been very interesting graphs and datasets - science money very well spent. Here is the PIOMAS graph for ice volume year on year - note how we get this day by day as described above...

This doesn't exist for 1923 or 1938 or any year prior to 1979.

But interesting questions all the same - will the projections for volume match the measured volume, will it climb over a previous year or sink back again. Will Dan Dare, pilot of the future, save Digby from the evil Mekon - tune in...

How about thickness - despite the "record melt" it is back to 2012 "pre summer melt" levels and climbing - again PIOMAS here.

What about extent, well here we have JAXA measurement for extent again year on year - so all the graphs are similar.

JAXA has extent higher than previous years which if the "record melt" was storm related would make sense - the disparate ice forms a wider ice area.

And another question - if volume is (essentially) thickness x extent - I wonder if 2013 will be a low year or maybe not given the NH "record cold" temps so far - it's May and it was only 15 Deg C outside here on Saturday.

However these graphs are great but...