View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
jeff88
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.23 mpg (US)
Grill Block (First MOD!!!)

So I decided to do my first mod after I got a truck shipment at work and had some extra cardboard. It looks horrible and ridiculous, but it is only temporary, so I can see how my FE increases (hopefully!). Later, I will make a long term and probably open-able one.

On the top block, I left the bottom row open, mostly because that's what size the cardboard was, but since this is my first try, I also don't want to block it too much and get it too hot. I decided to block the top row instead of the bottom row, so a little more air hits the radiator, rather than hitting some other parts which are higher up behind the grill (i.e. the hood latch and some other stuff). On the bottom, I left the sides open for pretty much the exact same reasons.

Full View:

Don't mind the damage on the left... previous owner

Upper Grill:

Just the lower row is not blocked. Full block on top and middle row from side to side.

Lower Grill:

Laying on the ground looking up (blurry):

Laying on the ground looking up (straight on):

The upper grill is further back then the bottom grill.

Laying on the ground looking up & slightly forward:

I scuffed up the cardboard, but it didn't go all the way through, so it won't be a problem. I'm not really sure why my car has Styrofoam in the bumper, but whatever

I'll keep everyone updated with how it works on my FE.

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeff88 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-11-2013), Cobb (04-18-2013), mcrews (04-19-2013)