View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
jeff88
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Its a start, and it should gain you something.
Thanks, that's all I was hoping for at this point was to gain some extra knowledge and *hopefully* grab an extra MPG or two. That and decrease warm-up time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Yeah, something...... Typically blocking the radiator helps in heat, blocking the front of the grill helps in aero, yet allows enough room for a fan to draw air as needed if things get a little too warm.
Depending on where this goes, I might end up blocking the front with something a little less... obtrusive. I like the idea of keeping it stock. I'm thinking when I do the belly pan, that will also help to warm-up the engine faster, meaning a front block might be more useful for me. I also want to do an openable one, so I might have to experiment with front and back before I do that. There is a lot of room for air to go under the air dam/fender and up into the radiator, so I might play with that when I do the belly pan. For now not too worried about air flow (but still staying vigilant).

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Keep an eye on your coolant temperature, especially as ambient temperature rises.
And in San Jose, I expect they can rise pretty high
Yeah, I'm staying on alert with the temp. Unfortunately, my Ultragauge won't be here until next week, so for now I only get the stock temp. gauge in the instrument cluster, which means I won't know if it's getting too hot until I can just see it coming from under the hood (more or less). But there is a lot of places for air to move around still, so I'm not *too* worried.

It is about 80-81 degrees today and with a mix of city and freeway driving, nothing seems to be a problem. We shall see in the near future though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrzejM View Post
Good start!
Thanks! Gotta start somewhere, right?! I always say you can't get to 3, if you don't get to 2 first and you can't get to 2 until you get to 1 first, so this is my 1. I can't wait for next week when my 2 gets here and I can use it for all my gauges and stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
My grill block had a marginal effect when I mounted it behind the grill. It was more effective in front of the grill. I believe the air pressure was deflecting the coroplast and flowing around it.

As for the styrofoam, that is quite common in modern cars. It will absorb energy and deflect. In low speed accidents it will prevent damage to hard bits and is cheap to replace.
Yeah, I will have to try out both front and back. I definitely plan on getting something stronger for the final assembly, so I might keep it in the back (especially if I install an operable one). I already noticed by pushing it with my fingers it deflects, so will see how much it does (I ran out of zipties, so I couldn't button down the hatches quite as well as I liked!).

Interesting, I've never seen it before this car, but it makes sense. I guess for those fender benders, it will help ease the damage. Anything stronger than that and I assume it won't do much good.

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.