View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
t-stat

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying kurmaster View Post
When I first bought this truck 4,5 years back it was overheating, so the first thing I did was remove the thermostat to test for an issue and get me home as I couldn't see a leak, I eventually found the rad fins to to be rotten and replaced it solving the problem but I just remembered that I never reinstalled the thermostat, how much of a difference could this have on FE, I know it will likely be different on short trips but I wonder about longer trips???? anyone know, I will put a new one in when I get back to it but I was just currious if this could be substantial, I don't remember it particularly, running cold but perhaps it wasn't reaching proper temp. which would likely make some difference????
Your engine is a steam engine of sorts,with water vapor from combustion passing the piston rings and into the crankcase.(you may see liquid water pour from tailpipes of cars as they accelerate away from a stoplight).
The thermostat will allow the engine to reach an operating temperature which helps prevent any condensation from occurring in the crankcase which could ultimately ruin the motor oil and risk the engine.
If the cooling system is operating properly,there is no reason to remove the 'stat.