Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
I would build a bigger air dam, 15-20cm deep. Bend it around the corners and end it at the edge of the wheel arch. Check out my Anal Probe build thread for ideas. Mine cost $20- lawn edging, aluminum bar, bolts and zip ties.

Also, some Bonneville style wheel covers will look pretty good with this flat-sided step van, and will help your FE.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-12-2013, 11:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
I would build a bigger air dam, 15-20cm deep. Bend it around the corners and end it at the edge of the wheel arch. Check out my Anal Probe build thread for ideas. Mine cost $20- lawn edging, aluminum bar, bolts and zip ties.

Also, some Bonneville style wheel covers will look pretty good with this flat-sided step van, and will help your FE.
yes I like the idea of the Bonneville style wheel covers and have an eye on them but may just fill in those spokes with coroplast, not sure if they are worth the 100. bucks plus shipping. Still up in the air on that one.
I was wondering if I should be building a bigger air dam or scooping the air under and building a full belly pan, well actually I was wondering which would be better. or should I be doing both. I like your front fender partial skirts and was thinking about something like that as well. i have plans on making little deflectors in back of the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

When I first bought this truck 4,5 years back it was overheating, so the first thing I did was remove the thermostat to test for an issue and get me home as I couldn't see a leak, I eventually found the rad fins to to be rotten and replaced it solving the problem but I just remembered that I never reinstalled the thermostat, how much of a difference could this have on FE, I know it will likely be different on short trips but I wonder about longer trips???? anyone know, I will put a new one in when I get back to it but I was just currious if this could be substantial, I don't remember it particularly, running cold but perhaps it wasn't reaching proper temp. which would likely make some difference????
Old 02-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
radioranger

How about towing a trailer thats shaped like a proper boat tail, I'll bet it would really make a difference, seriously, Of course would make it harder to park etc, but drag would drop , no question . and of course easy to leave behind
Old 04-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I just found a set of 20 inch alloys for sale that would fit my van, currently has 16 inch steel. They look like normal tires on them, not low profile, I doubt they are any lighter but I was thinking this might give me a higher gear decreasing my rpm at cruising speed improving fe. I am pretty sure they would fit in the wheel well, my concern, would I be stressing the front end, transmission..do you think this is a valid concern, any other pros or cons???
Old 04-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
radioranger

I would say if it accelerates very strongly now then it is a good idea to go bigger but if it struggles to maintain speeds you run in any kind of wind stay stock, just my 2 cents here, also on thermostat issue definitely a big help to fe for most.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
t-stat

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying kurmaster View Post
When I first bought this truck 4,5 years back it was overheating, so the first thing I did was remove the thermostat to test for an issue and get me home as I couldn't see a leak, I eventually found the rad fins to to be rotten and replaced it solving the problem but I just remembered that I never reinstalled the thermostat, how much of a difference could this have on FE, I know it will likely be different on short trips but I wonder about longer trips???? anyone know, I will put a new one in when I get back to it but I was just currious if this could be substantial, I don't remember it particularly, running cold but perhaps it wasn't reaching proper temp. which would likely make some difference????
Your engine is a steam engine of sorts,with water vapor from combustion passing the piston rings and into the crankcase.(you may see liquid water pour from tailpipes of cars as they accelerate away from a stoplight).
The thermostat will allow the engine to reach an operating temperature which helps prevent any condensation from occurring in the crankcase which could ultimately ruin the motor oil and risk the engine.
If the cooling system is operating properly,there is no reason to remove the 'stat.