View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Fast-charging capacitor in 2014 Mazda 6

Sounds pretty cool:

"The 6 is the first car in America to capture energy in a fast-charging capacitor with no rare-earth metals, rather than a slower, bulkier and harder-to-recycle battery. Lift off the gas, and the optional i-Eloop system spins the alternator to charge the capacitor in eight seconds flat. The stored juice — roughly 2,000 watts — then powers the electric system and accessories. E.V. and laptop users, take note: unlike lithium-ion batteries, Mazda’s capacitor is designed to charge and discharge millions of times with no loss of storage capacity."

How much power is this and how long might it power the electrical system and accessories?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/21/au...ndence.html?hp

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.