View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Part of my thoughts on this is that I have seen a three-wheeler with a cedar-strip body. I think it might be the one that Metro posted.

I believe my Dad has a copy of CANOECRAFT. I'll have to see if he does, and if I can borrow it.

The truck is the short-bed version.

Today, I headed out to the Jefferson Swap Meet, a big car parts rummage sale at the County Fairgrounds the next county to the west of me. I took the side roads, and on the way out there, found an old-school junk yard and stopped. I was looking for a manual steering box for an S-10, but didn't find one.

However, there was a pair of full-moon hubcaps there, and they were 15"-ers, which was the right size for my truck. Got the pair of them for $20. Too bad they only had two. I thought I would put both on the left side of the truck, as that's what everyone sees when they are passing me anyways.

I just post about truck aerodynamics this morning, and here I am by noon finding full-moon caps!

As for that barn wood I can get, here's a photo of the short sample piece I grabbed. I also split it to show off the grain. To me, it looks just like cedar, but it doesn't smell the same. It's three-inch-wide tongue and groove, and the full planks are 14 feet long.

As for using them to make a strip-based cover, I was planning on making a "cove and bead" by getting the right router bits and use my Dad's router table.

For the finish on the cap, I would do a single-layer of fiberglass and epoxy, the same as what was done on the canoes, which has been holding up well. It's amazing how TRANSPARENT the fiberglass on the finished canoes is. It really shows off the woodwork.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos