View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
War_Wagon
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Ya sounds like a cable issue. Or perhaps a temperature sensor for the hard starting? If the ECU is confused as to what temperature the engine is at, it might be trying to keep the high idle on to help the engine warm up, even though it's already warm, which would explain the revving. I asked about the surging because when older Hondas get low on coolant, they will surge idle as they aren't getting a proper temperature sensor reading and they get confused. When the temperature sensor cracked in my Saturn, it caused all sorts of weird problems that you'd spend a fortune trying to get fixed, and it was just an $11 part failure. So my best advice is use your google-fu to research, then narrow it down to the most likely. Then start with the cheapest of those ha ha. It's an '80s Honda - it's one of the few things that will be left moving besides cockroaches and old Mercedes diesels after the end of the world lol. Whatever is wrong with it more than likely isn't serious.