View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 12:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
jeff88
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
First, Ugghhh! I was trying to reply earlier today on my phone and all I was having was problems. OK, rant over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occasionally6 View Post
No interest in an Arduino and 3-axis accelerometer based measuring device? Maybe with VSS input to strip out longitudinal acceleration.

I think it should be called the Gduino.
I wouldn't even know where to start with an Arduino. It would be good practice for when I do an automatic grill block though I don't know if it would be worth the cost of an Arduino board plus the accessories. At least with a grill block, I can see a payback, not really with a Gduino.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean.Heihn View Post
With a OBD2 to Bluetooth adapter, you don't need an USB OTG capable device. And generally if your phone has a gyroscope, it'll have an accelerometer, too. For just reading gyro/accelerometer data off your phone, you don't need an OBD2 adapter, that's only if you want to use your phone as a 'scan gauge', so to speak, with Torque.
So I downloaded some different sensor apps on my phone this morning, just trying them out now. Holy cow!, I didn't realize my phone had so many sensors! So far, I can't really see any app that's better than another. I have noticed that I have no idea what the numbers mean (at least, I have nothing to compare them to, so I don't know how to "decode" them).
I would like to try the torque app and compare it to my UG, but I don't feel like spending the money just to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
Pendulum on a string = DIY inclinometer.

Use protractor and algebra to calculate pendulum distance vs. angle.
Not sure how facetious you were trying to be, but I will respond with a facetious answer nonetheless... It will be pretty hard to drive with one hand, shift with the other and hold a string up in the air with my third hand! Also, I like to follow the law: don't derive and drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
the way airplanes do it is to get the gyroscope spinning on level ground before moving around, then it stays level enough for the rest of the flight. Accelerometers can be used in much of the same way, but there will be a lot more drift.

You can also use a 2d "gravity driven" inclinometer with a fore-aft accelerometer to account for motion, with a sanity check when the car is not moving. Assuming you do not spend all your time fishtailing.
Didn't know planes did that, thanks for the info. Is that one of the procedures they do when on the tarmac waiting for the tower to let them take off?
Definitely am not planning on doing too much fishtailing any time soon! (:

Can anybody help me figure out a way to do this to match the signs on the road (i.e. 7% slope ahead, etc.) I want a display with a # like this, so I can use it and compare it.

Thanks!

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.