View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Of course the manual says not to skip shift. But if you're already, for instance, heading downhill and gaining speed whether you press the accelerator or not, why wouldn't you? There are a few places on my commute where I can start in first and skip directly to fifth, merely letting the engine idle as it picks up the clutch. By the time gravity isn't sufficient to maintain the acceleration, I'm moving fast enough that the engine won't lug under the load. If nothing else it avoids a lot of unnecessary accelerator pump squirting.

Hmm. I think your engine is EFI, no accelerator pump involved. Moving on!

Different engines lug at different revs. Your mileage may vary. Mine will start pulling smoothly - that is, I can start making demands on it - at about 30-35 in fifth gear. This is something you can't ask people about, you're just going to have to get to know your engine.

As to engine-off coasting (EOC), first let me make this statement: it's inherently risky and any risks you choose to face are on you. While moving at speed, you simply turn the ignition off, being very careful not to accidentally turn the key back to where the steering locks.

Some people have taken the extra step of removing their ignition lock to file off the locking pawl. That's a little extreme but you won't read about them flying blindly off the road, either. Well, not because their steering locked up.

When your speed drops below what you consider your lower limit, turn the ignition back on, shift into gear and let the clutch out. The vehicle's momentum will spin the engine and it should begin running again. If it's a relatively short coast, especially on a steep hill, I won't shift into neutral, just let the engine spin with the tranny. It's a little smoother that way.

In my hilly downtown area I spend about 60% of my time with the engine off, either coasting or waiting at stop lights. Some people will tell you it's hard on a starter and maybe it is - I'm on my third. Granted the truck is 25 years old, so maybe it isn't too bad.

Good luck with it.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.

Last edited by elhigh; 05-10-2013 at 08:43 AM..