View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 12:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
regor
Here, there, everywhere

regor's civic - '08 honda civic lx
90 day: 39.95 mpg (US)
Shutting off the engine at traffic lights (was-Want to Hypermile Please Help )

In the thread labeled "Want to Hypermile Please Help", the poster makes mention of turning off the engine at traffic lights. I do the same when I know I will be there for 1 minute or longer. The question is: when does it become economical to shut the engine off at traffic lights? I recall reading once that if you're stopped there for over a minute, then turn it off. I guess it matters what kind of vehicle you're driving too. Can anyone provide data that states if you know how long the light is, at what point it becomes a benefit / more economical to turn off the engine? We must remember that it takes more fuel to restart the vehicle.

I also wonder about the wear and tear on the starter by constantly shutting the engine off and restarting.

One thing about trying to get as much MPG out of your vehicle as possible, you also have to factor in wear costs. It’s like a previous post of mine that I mentioned how to drive down a mountain grade. I was taught (I use to drive a school bus) that I should stick the vehicle in the lowest gear possible, which would mean less use of the brakes. The comment was made, if you don’t, you’ll end up burning out your brakes and what will stop you then? So I was pretty much taught to use my transmission, because if that goes out, you’ll have your brakes to stop you. It’s somewhat the same about turning your engine off at lights. You end up putting more wear and tear on the starter.
So in conclusion, as I stated above, can anyone provide data about at what point it is more economical to shut your engine down at traffic lights if you know how long the light is?

And a 1907 Baldwin Steam Locomotive (Really)