View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #139 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
I just found a manual steering box.

I did an online parts search and called a few places. It's amazing how many are listed as manual gears, but when the guy actually checks, they are power steering...

Anyways, called a recycling center in Nebraska, and the guy was nice enough to actually go look and confirm that it was indeed the MANUAL steering gear. It should be in the mail later today, and here next week!

Once I have steering, I should be able to to MOVE the truck! At that point, I may be able to move it into the garage, lift the bed straight up and off, etc.

Mike in FL, thanks for your input.
I don't think option B will work, as I don't have the Mercedes MANUAL transmission bell housing. The engine came mounted to an automatic tranny. I do have the bell housing from that, but I don't think that helps.

That spacer part that I had on the engine in the video is removable. I don't see why I couldn't make a custom piece that REPLACES that which the Chevy bell-housing would mount to. Of course length of the transmission shaft is critical.

The starter not matching up between the engine and bellhousing is pretty obvious when everything is together. Anybody have advice for that one?

Seems to me that it might be easier to carve away at the aluminum of the bellhousing then to try to mount the starter motor on the "wrong" side of the engine, due to where mounting bolt holes are and other things in the way on the other side of the engine.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos