View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
jeff88
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
lived there 24 yrs.
Guarantee that if the pipe to hang the 'sniffer' on isnt at the rear bumper.....your not going to pass!!!

you may not realize it but it is a visual also.
If you dont have the right eqipment for the car.....you dont pass.
Had a 66 6 cyl mustang, CA car. Missing the air injectors on the rebuild engine. Was at 8% of allowable smog and flunked.
Had to go to the Air board to appeal.

Why do you think alll the 'bolt-on' ricky racer stuff says "for off road only in CA"
Yeah, I get the visual inspection part. My mom's truck failed because the EGR system was there (visual), but wasn't working properly. I guess it really depends on what Test-Only you go to. Some guy might just miss it. But for purposes of this argument, I just wanted to know what is most efficient, laws/safety aside. I wouldn't want to breathe my exhaust either, but I do want to know what would be best for the engine.

That sucks about the Mustang, but isn't it old enough to not need a smog now? Or was that in the past? What ended up happening with CARB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
On 4 stroke motorcycles I've added more pipe on and increased both power and fuel mileage, it's all about having the right size and length for the engine size and RPM, get the math right and you will see an improvement.
That's what I'm looking for! What is that math? How can I determine what is best based on the variables of a particular vehicle? I know different people have different rules of thumb, but is there an "equation" of some sort to help determine it? I know I can go to a muffler shop and ask an expert, but I wanted to be able to figure it out on my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
Back Pressure is a myth, you can get exhaust back pressure gauges for checking for blockages and even with an over sized or shortened exhaust you will often see the pressure rise because you are loosing exhaust momentum! that momentum is helping a great deal.
I'm not sure I get you here. So back pressure vs. momentum. Do I want it as free flowing as possible, minimizing the back pressure as close to 0 as possible? Does that mean a shorter pipe would be better, because it allows the most momentum straight out the pipe, instead of the exhaust gas ping-ponging its way down the pipe? What exactly is that momentum helping?

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.