View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #57 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
don't seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack29 View Post
Thank you for your answer.

One thing thats bodering me is the fact that traditional louvers don't seal against the glass so wouldn't there be air circulation around each louver fin ? and would that negate any aero advantage ?
I have no idea... is this one of those things that i will have to try and see ...?
Even on the clearest day,rock dust is raining down from the sky from micro-meteors burning up in the atmosphere.
If the louvers actually rested against the backlight,not only would you have abrasion from the louver,as it deflected vertically during driving,you'd also have the abrasive action of the dust etching away at the glass.
I suspect that the louvers are intentionally spaced away so as not to receive angry letters from purchasers,if not a class-action lawsuit for damages caused by the product.
You are correct in thinking that the aerodynamics would be compromised with all the circulation,but for it's simple construction,the louvers add some aero benefit as well a reducing solar gain,reducing cabin temps and lowering air conditioning load and help keep prying eyes off the contents of the car.
jack29 (05-25-2013)