Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2013, 01:09 AM   #51 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrzejM View Post
Sciroccos are great cars, I've owned four of those MK1 from '78 and the second one from the same year, then MK2 GTi from 81, and GT from '82. Then I had a Corrado G60 '89 which I converted to diesel

Good luck with your car. Pity you barely can see them on the streets.
Hey thanks,yeah they are fun little cars ,I keep mine mostly for sentimental reasons.My daily is a 2002 Seat Toledo tdi,great mileage,low CdA , very boring compared to the scirocco

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-23-2013, 01:21 AM   #52 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I took Hucho's data and drew the lowest drag roof slope,then superimposed the 'Aerodynamic Streamlining Template' on top of that and found a fairly good fit.
If you were doing the backward-facing step louvers you might push its contour up to the 'Template' and have confidence that it would come in near the drag mimimum.
Thank you for your answer.

One thing thats bodering me is the fact that traditional louvers don't seal against the glass so wouldn't there be air circulation around each louver fin ? and would that negate any aero advantage ?
I have no idea... is this one of those things that i will have to try and see ...?
Old 05-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #53 (permalink)
Recreation Engineer

Black Stallion - '02 Toyota Tundra 4WD xCab

Half Pint - '06 Yamaha XT225
When I added solar to my RV a tilt mechanism was used. It lays flat going down the road to minimze drag (bugs, etc). Dashboard meters shows it functions on the road. For optimum charging when stopped I park for azimuth and tilt the panel for elevation. For hybrid car use I expect the logistic would be similar in many ways. (Moderators, should this tangent be a separate thread?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
There kind of seems to be a debate on here whether solar panels are worth the additional weight on a car. I have seen some members do it and others say that it is a waste. This guy added them to his Prius and insists they help: Green Car Congress: Solar-Power-Augmented Prius Takes the Grid Out of Plug-in

On a house, you would want them angled to be at 90° with the sun, but on a car, I would think that you would want them to be flat, and one of the comments that I have read is that there is very little usable space on a car.

Well, if you need a flat area, wouldn't louvres provide that?

If I bought solar panels, I would put them on my house, and then park my car in the garage.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #54 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob View Post
When I added solar to my RV a tilt mechanism was used. It lays flat going down the road to minimze drag (bugs, etc). Dashboard meters shows it functions on the road. For optimum charging when stopped I park for azimuth and tilt the panel for elevation. For hybrid car use I expect the logistic would be similar in many ways. (Moderators, should this tangent be a separate thread?)
Heh. Just make a thread entitled "Everything that Xist ever posted that was off-topic."

That is a cool setup!
Old 05-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #55 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Another attempt on the stepped shape. Not sure whether this helps FE.
Maybe not

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #56 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Old 05-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #57 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
don't seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack29 View Post
Thank you for your answer.

One thing thats bodering me is the fact that traditional louvers don't seal against the glass so wouldn't there be air circulation around each louver fin ? and would that negate any aero advantage ?
I have no idea... is this one of those things that i will have to try and see ...?
Even on the clearest day,rock dust is raining down from the sky from micro-meteors burning up in the atmosphere.
If the louvers actually rested against the backlight,not only would you have abrasion from the louver,as it deflected vertically during driving,you'd also have the abrasive action of the dust etching away at the glass.
I suspect that the louvers are intentionally spaced away so as not to receive angry letters from purchasers,if not a class-action lawsuit for damages caused by the product.
You are correct in thinking that the aerodynamics would be compromised with all the circulation,but for it's simple construction,the louvers add some aero benefit as well a reducing solar gain,reducing cabin temps and lowering air conditioning load and help keep prying eyes off the contents of the car.
jack29 (05-25-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 12:09 AM   #58 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Nice headroom bump on that GrandCornBinderAm.

Reply  Post New Thread