View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #80 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
The idea of wanting better FE for a given camper seems good, but what is the purpose for which the camper is used? If one understands that this is ones house, then the place of motor fuel takes its place pretty well among other energy inputs. One is moving, gypsy-like, to follow economic opportunity. Moves might be from contract-to-contract, or, where I am at present, following a physical resource extraction bonanza. Other examples would be skilled labor at capital construction projects, and along this line.

Otherwise one is spinning wheels over a cheaper vacation. Won't work, not if major changes are planned to a vehicle. Planning the moves in detail is where the savings occur to that end.

An aero motorhome, to get back to the OP, means chosing the one that can best benefit. The one that can best benefit is really the one that works best in all other ways for the owner/operator (I would be more concerned with fresh water capacity, solar panel / battery bank, and type/brand of electrical generator over specfic FE on the drivetrain).

freebeard knows this, but if not obvious to others, one must be able to use the rear door on a Cortez. For those few hours of driving versus living, then something like a "trailer tail" ought to be fabbed up (shown here on a MESILLA VALLEY trailer).

Might be that the panels could be hooked to the sides of the moho at rest and provide awning support. Or as skirting support to reduce undercarriage heat exchange; as livestock corral, you-name-it. The need for outdoor rooms -screened -- is almost not optional when one considers RV wear & tear. If one could move some things outside (food prep, some cooking, etc), then all is better; not just as lounging/sleeping area.

And lets not knock a trailer behind a moho depending on the size of the group and its' composition (age, infirmities, local terrain & climate challenges) and the mix of alternative transport carried (motorcycles, golf cart, ATV, bicycles, etc). As well as goods to sell or barter not to mention a small craft shop where any or all of these can underwrite expenses. The moho is then better seen as the prime mover where every HP is at work. That would be best spec & use where the moho main fuel tank can re-fuel other vehicles when suitably/safely equipped to do so (or solar electrical). Mothership in a meaningful sense.

If I haven't brought it up earlier in this thread (forgive me if I have) I see the main functions (and system prorities) as:

I] Weathertight, easily-warmed or cooled shelter (inside a range of moderate temperatures; given consruction and RV or marine appliances).

II] System importance

A] Water
- fresh capacity and waste handling. This -- more than any other --determines independence from outside inputs.

B] Propane
- a very close second as without this bottled stay-fresh-forever fuel, campers wouldn't exist. Fresh food storage, cooking, water heating, interior air temp heating.

C] Electrical
- practically optional, but we take electricity for granted. With an onboard generator and solar system one can pretty well "participate" online in nearly all areas of the country. Convenience other than where cooling demands are high (running roof A/C). One must examine ones relation to society as electricity is, in a practical sense, optional. The moho is also where one mounts antennas and transceivers (and related) to serve a group.

"Onboard" for the generator means permanent mount in a dedicated space with permanent fuel lines and exhaust as portable generators are not up to the task of long-term work (see ONAN commerical -- not RV -- generators). This can also run compressors for tools. Portables are not as robust, loud, and tend to grow legs.

Proper understanding of these limitations means that one can use less fuel with the prime mover that averages 6-mpg than with the one that gets 12-mpg on a very bad day.

The economy of a moho plummets with other than a group to service & support, IMO. Specific FE is not important where all else is correctly done for a given or related purposes. If it is, the other expenses of travel or remote living are themselves reduced. This is where lies "economy" when one wants civilized amenities available.

A Cortez would be outmatched by this. But a 1980's BLUEBIRD Wanderlodge FC would not.

After all, a mix of other RV's -- kept lighter and more aero -- can be serviced thusly. One might have a TT [travel trailer] that is almost exclusively a bunkhouse. If mounted on a big gooseneck trailer (as examples shown on www.pirate4x4.com) then but two prime movers can be made to carry a towns worth of supply/tools/equipment. Think of a clan or family corporation trying to make advantage of a continent-sized country.

Whether one is inspired by the cowboy chuckwagon (see "6666 Ranch") or railroad or construction crews throughout the 20th century one can find examples where re-inventing the wheel isn't needed in how to "see" the economy of a motorhome.

Last edited by slowmover; 05-29-2013 at 09:57 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
freebeard (05-29-2013), shovel (05-29-2013)