View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 12:06 AM   #406 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
questions answered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortie771 View Post
The things I do need to know though, is will the 5th swap into my tranny without issue? Will there be any modification to the shift linkage needed? Lastly, will it affect the accuracy of my speedometer at all?
I have not done such a swap of a single gear, but I suspect it will swap without issue because so many of the elements are made swapable on the 1992-2000 transmissions. There should be no trouble with the linkage: they're both hydro, correct? It should be an identical set up. The accuracy of your speedometer cannot be affected by the fifth gear alone. There is a speedometer gear in the transmission. Across the 1992-2000 Civic transmissions those gears are the same size, though some are black and some are white. Wheel/tire size alone will change speedo readings relative to what you are used to, though in general the Civics appear to overestimate speed and underestimate distance by factory design.

Do you read honda-tech.com? It is a great site for such questions, though you get lots of haters and snarks. The smart ones are there and they can sometimes save the day.

But remember to get the FSM for each model and research this extensively. People are wrong sometimes.

james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Shortie771 (06-02-2013)