View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
Average person spends 11 minutes or more at a gas station so 20 minute to charge an EV while driving a long trip is not bad at all! after a few hours of driving it's a good idea to get out and stretch anyway.
Their web site says they will have regular J1772 charging plugs as well, I wonder what the deal is to use one of them for charging other EV's.
I have't seen any official published cost, but the Tesla web site says that the super chargers are only free automatically to the upper two models of the Model S and that to use it for the lower version there is a one time fee ($2,000 I hear) not sure if that fee also adds hard ware to the vehicle or if the car just has a dead plug in the back.

One of the next phase of super chargers is putting one up about 30 miles from me, right off I-94, so it will be interesting to see where it ends up in that area.
I really wonder what other electric car manufacturers will do if this starts making good progress. I believe that Tesla.com said that a year's worth of gas was almost $5,000, while electricity would be less than $1,000, but that was for 30,000 miles. Halving that to EPA's average means that it would take a little over four years to break even (on the one-time fee), but that does not sound bad at all. Being able to charge non-Tesla cars would slightly remove Tesla's advantage, but they would still take hours to charge.

Do you think there would be taxis waiting around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
FWIW, about the "only" drivers these days who drive 55 mph are those who are entering a freeway on-ramp on their way UP to their normal 65-75-80 mph 'jaunt.'
Does anyone else here hit fifty-five on the on-ramp?

I imagine that most people will consider the 55 MPH estimates to be "unreasonable," but people already willingly pay more to drive too fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
The base Model S has 208 miles of range (according to the Tesla site), the higher trims have 265 miles. How often do you really drive that far in one jaunt??? Chances are a Model S owner also probably has another vehicle. If they need to drive 500 miles in a day they can just take that. I'm really not even seeing a problem here.
I try to avoid driving at all, but I honestly do not remember the last time that I drove further than the 165 miles to my parents' house. I have driven to California with my family, but not in my vehicle, and I rarely actually drove.