View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakins View Post
What all did you delete for the weight reduction? I think all I took out was te spare tire and I weighed my car at the metal scrap yard and it was 2200 pounds with a half tank of gas. That's with the hx chassis that is supposed to be 2400 pounds
200 pounds sounds too high for just the tire and associated parts. 2400 sounds too heavy for a 1997 curb weight too. Here is a list of what I deleted. I didn't have scales or anything so I just used the official 2262 curb weight for my baseline. Each item would get weighed after removal by putting it and myself on a scale and subtracting my weight.

On the tail-end aero mods first on my list, I am looking for advice. I'm using Hussain Ali's paper on drag reduction as inspiration for designing the box cavity. Here an image capture of the a table of core findings:

I will focus on the box cavity, wheel skirts, undertray, and diffuser, since I already have the other mods. Any thoughts on this study, my possible designs, or testing? I know my car is a coupe and not a hatch like the Audi A2 Ali tested, but I plan my own ABA coasting tests with versions of the "black and green" box cavity.

Here is the final version Ali tested. The diffuser is 2* instead of six because of interaction with the box cavity.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ali - Drag Reduction - Audi A2 table.jpg
Views:	6729
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	13164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hussain Ali - box cavity final.jpg
Views:	6022
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	13180  
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 06-15-2013 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: To add closeup photo of box cavity
The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-04-2014)