View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #24 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Admittedly my experience is with a 1/2 ton with a 302, and my car. Still, I wouldn't expect a cooling fan to need to work hard, if at all, when the vehicle is moving. I've adapted to the fan delete by being more careful to avoid hot stationary idling. That might be a bit much for campground maneuvering but I'd be surprised if an e-fan couldn't handle it w/o any alternator upgrades.
I agree with your statements on this question from a lifetime of experience with V8's. But things are different since the Big Three finally replaced motors designed in the 1950's and 1960's by before 2005.

I have not owned a 1/2T of the "modern" era and can't speak to them specifically, either.

I would add to it that the heat rejection load needed in the southern US is not to be trifled with. I take it that if one has a 1/2T one needs one (eventually, towing & payload; my agreements with your sentiments on soccer daddies notwithstanding). Thus I would search out someone who has an aftermarket electric fan kit and has put thousands of miles of HD usage on it -- climate, terrain and use similar to ones own -- before considering buying one. An automatic tramsmission makes this, IMO, mandatory. Add A/C to that in stop/go traffic . . . .

HD fan use is limited over the percentage of miles of the vehicle. But the use itself may be from 1/2-hr to a couple of hours at a time. Nothing I'd be willing to trifle with no matter the engine type or vehicle spec or brand.

I'd imagine a retrofit to an older vehcle of a truck-specific fan/shroud/electrical package may be a good one for someone somewhere at some time.

Last edited by slowmover; 06-05-2013 at 09:59 PM..