View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #330 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherDashing View Post
well. brand new transmission is leaking fluid I believe. right around the axle seal. taking it back to the shop that put it in. I believe I still have an extra. had them put 10w-30 oil in it as well he almost put gear oil in it.

when its outa the shop whats best for it since it does only have 6k miles on it. 10w-30 oil regular, synthetic, or the Honda mtf, I seriously keep seeing different responses everywhere. that the older trannies were meant for regular oil and that the newer ones can handle Honda mtf.

still havnt been able to get the screw off of the current purge cut solenoid. im hoping the replacement from the d16z6 will work. if that doesn't do it ill look into replacing the vapor canister.

also the outer axle boot on the passenger side recently split so that will be fun.
Sorry to hear of more difficulties...

I have experienced the same difficulty with mine. Apparently I seated one of the seals too far into the housing. I need to replace hub bearing unit and ball joints on that side anyway, so... one of these weeks, when I have read and watched enough, I'll dive in and fix it all. Until then I keep a close eye on the very slow tranny oil leak.

As for replacement transmission oil... I have seen all the debates too. Honda MTF has wear agents that are considered superior to synth oil. But honestly, I drive this car so gently and at such low rpms, often barely reaching running temps... I have Royal Purple 5w30 going in, which was the original spec for the fifth gen manuals I believe.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.