View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #19 (permalink)
CapriRacer
Tire Geek

A couple of thoughts:

About people using the search function: There is something in human nature that drives people to ask a question rather than do research. I have experienced this on the internet, on telephone help lines, and in real life. I've had people come up to me in WalMart and ask a question about a product, when the answer to their question is written on the label of the product!

There is something that seems to drive people to ask other people FIRST - even strangers.

Bottomline: If you are going to post on a website where people are going to ask questions, you'd better get used to the idea that people are NOT going to do a search first (If at all!!).

Oh, and get used to being asked the same questions over and over again.

About taller tires: The amount of fuel consumed by tires is a pretty complex subject. The differences between tires of the same size is HUGE!!! - much more than the difference between tire sizes. So careful selection of tires (meaning make and model) should be the highest priority.

There is a difference in fuel economy due to tire size, but it sometimes gets lost in the run to run variability.

It would make sense that there is an upper limit for engine gearing - a limit beyond which there is either minimal, or no improvement, or even worse fuel economy. It would also make sense that the vehicle manufacturers would do the research and select transmission and rear axle ratios such that a vehicle would operate within that optimum range.

So to answer the OP's question: There may be some advantage to using taller tires, but be very careful. There is more benefit in choosing tires.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CapriRacer For This Useful Post:
aktacoma (06-07-2013), jeff88 (06-08-2013), mikeyjd (06-09-2013), Sporty Modder (06-07-2013)