Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Quote:
Originally Posted by aktacoma View Post
I know there are threads on this however someone posted that for trucks it doesn't work the same. 15's as well.
yeah, I'm that someone.

And i said that because after reading alot of threads on taller tires, I was able to take away the important information.

In fact, there was a taller tire thread in the last couple of months were I told that guy to go search.....he came back a couple of days later with some very informed questions and ADMITTED what he had learned in his search.
He also commented that I seemed to tell every thread that starts on tires to 'go search'!.
Bottom line, we had a very involved exchange after that. He learned and proved he was willing to do the work to get upto speed. I enjoyed the interaction because he became smarter form his hard work, not so much because I gave him the answers.

just read your question.....could you provide any LESS information!!!!????
How about: current size???? how about what size came stock???? how about rpms at 50, 60, 70???? how about how much freeway driving????? how about hills .....distance......rear gear ratio........automatic of stick. it's a 4x4 do you tow??? do you haul stuff?????
(And no, frankly I will rarely look at your vehicle description to fiqure out what vehicle your talking about.)

FACT: if you had read ANY thread on tire size you would understand how important those questions are to the answer you are looking for.
(and your snarky answer to my request that you search bears out you really havent read any threads on tire size.....just sayin)

And no, frankly I will rarely look at your vehicle description to fiqure out what vehicle your talking about.

If
you read any of the good, informative posters, they lay out the vehicle up front on a new thread.

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938

Last edited by mcrews; 06-06-2013 at 11:13 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding and having fun

Ol' Honda - '84 Honda Civic 1500 S
90 day: 37.03 mpg (US)
I have like 3.55 in the rear end so don't know if I want to turn taller tires:/

Old 06-07-2013, 12:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
My F150 has the "tallest" axle ratios; taller than stock tires did not help at all. At some point you fall out of the bottom of the BSFC sweet spot.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:47 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
yeah, I'm that someone.

And i said that because after reading alot of threads on taller tires, I was able to take away the important information.

In fact, there was a taller tire thread in the last couple of months were I told that guy to go search.....he came back a couple of days later with some very informed questions and ADMITTED what he had learned in his search.
He also commented that I seemed to tell every thread that starts on tires to 'go search'!.
Bottom line, we had a very involved exchange after that. He learned and proved he was willing to do the work to get upto speed. I enjoyed the interaction because he became smarter form his hard work, not so much because I gave him the answers.

just read your question.....could you provide any LESS information!!!!????
How about: current size???? how about what size came stock???? how about rpms at 50, 60, 70???? how about how much freeway driving????? how about hills .....distance......rear gear ratio........automatic of stick. it's a 4x4 do you tow??? do you haul stuff?????
(And no, frankly I will rarely look at your vehicle description to fiqure out what vehicle your talking about.)

FACT: if you had read ANY thread on tire size you would understand how important those questions are to the answer you are looking for.
(and your snarky answer to my request that you search bears out you really havent read any threads on tire size.....just sayin)

And no, frankly I will rarely look at your vehicle description to fiqure out what vehicle your talking about.

If
you read any of the good, informative posters, they lay out the vehicle up front on a new thread.
you sure got a lot on your mind mcrews but how do you really feel? would you care for any cheese with your whine? the fact of the matter is that I was more interested in peoples thoughts cause Im a little busy to read through 30 some pages of thread so sometimes I figure its easier to ask. youre right I dont sit on my computer all day long reading threads about tires so next time I have any questions I will message you the all knowing guru mcrews. you obviously care more about being a negative nancy than being helpful so in the future maybe you could do yourself and myself the favor of not wasting your time or energy getting angry over a simple question.

in the future you might get better responses from people if you just say 'did you try to search there are some good threads if you search "whatever you think they should search" hope you find the answer youre looking for! instead of criticizing people because they didnt think to search for posts..

Old 06-07-2013, 01:59 AM   #15 (permalink)

info about the truck jack

96 tacoma 2.7L 4 cyl 5 speed manual at 55 it is at 1950 rpms dont cruise anywhere else and if I am im watching instant mpgs 3.55 rearend don't tow with it thats what a real truck is for. ave speed last tank 36 mph no hills now but headed to CO in fall mostly freeway probably 80/20 or something, anyone remember how to calculate your actual hwy/cty split? ps I searched..

Old 06-07-2013, 03:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by aktacoma View Post
in the future you might get better responses from people if you just say 'did you try to search there are some good threads if you search "whatever you think they should search" hope you find the answer youre looking for! instead of criticizing people because they didnt think to search for posts..
Riiiiight... Because you alone are the only person on this board - nay, in the ENTIRE WORLD! - who has not enough time to type in "tire sizes gas mileage" into the "Search EcoModder.com" box there at the top left!

When I grew up in Alaska, we generally figured things out for ourselves. Things must have changed.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:10 AM   #17 (permalink)

I really dont care to spend my time bickering so im done with this thread anyone that helped me with good advice thank you! (stupid to argue with people whom I dont know nor care about, we arent given anymore time than we have so I'll stop this here)

Old 06-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master Ecomadman

sc1 - '98 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 43.17 mpg (US)

Airplane Bike - '11 home built Carp line Tour

rans - '97 rans tailwind

tractor - '66 International Cub cadet 129

2002 Space Odyssey - '02 Honda Odyssey EX-L
90 day: 28.25 mpg (US)

red bug - '00 VW beetle TDI

big tractor - '66 ford 3400

red vw - '00 VW new beetle TDI
90 day: 58.42 mpg (US)

RV - '88 Winnebago LeSharo
90 day: 16.67 mpg (US)
225/75R15 would reduce rolling resistance, wind resistance, hydroplaning and reduce rpms by 1% from 235/70R15 at the expence of handling. 235/75R15 would have a 1 inch larger diameter, 3%.

The Following User Says Thank You to arcosine For This Useful Post:
mcrews (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tire Geek

A couple of thoughts:

About people using the search function: There is something in human nature that drives people to ask a question rather than do research. I have experienced this on the internet, on telephone help lines, and in real life. I've had people come up to me in WalMart and ask a question about a product, when the answer to their question is written on the label of the product!

There is something that seems to drive people to ask other people FIRST - even strangers.

Bottomline: If you are going to post on a website where people are going to ask questions, you'd better get used to the idea that people are NOT going to do a search first (If at all!!).

Oh, and get used to being asked the same questions over and over again.

About taller tires: The amount of fuel consumed by tires is a pretty complex subject. The differences between tires of the same size is HUGE!!! - much more than the difference between tire sizes. So careful selection of tires (meaning make and model) should be the highest priority.

There is a difference in fuel economy due to tire size, but it sometimes gets lost in the run to run variability.

It would make sense that there is an upper limit for engine gearing - a limit beyond which there is either minimal, or no improvement, or even worse fuel economy. It would also make sense that the vehicle manufacturers would do the research and select transmission and rear axle ratios such that a vehicle would operate within that optimum range.

So to answer the OP's question: There may be some advantage to using taller tires, but be very careful. There is more benefit in choosing tires.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CapriRacer For This Useful Post:
aktacoma (06-07-2013), jeff88 (06-08-2013), mikeyjd (06-09-2013), Sporty Modder (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
About people using the search function: There is something in human nature that drives people to ask a question rather than do research.
Yah - it's called "being lazy."

I'd much rather spend my valuable time trying to research information for a project, rather than continually answer questions that have been asked again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again... ad nauseum.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t vago For This Useful Post:
mcrews (06-08-2013), user removed (06-08-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread