Thread: fresh meat
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #23 (permalink)
DieselX
EcoModding Lurker

X - '02 Ford Excursion Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I didn't write that too well, so, apologies. Didn't come off as inviting . . especially as much of it is cheap and easy.

It may be a small sub-set of us fulltiming and willing to do the work, but we'd be well off in sharing numbers in online postings, not just those of overall FE. The details of the rigs, as it were. Living in a trailer is cheap until it isn't . . and when it iisn't can be a big problem. There is some interest out there, but at present no where for others to go to try to get perspective for both best performance/reliability + FE, too. We could get that rolling as we've different brands/designs, and are looking for overlap as these will transcend truck brand/spec, climate & terrain as truck use will be the same..

In short, the percentage improvements to the baseline average mpg, towing or solo.

I'll be detailing my WDH numbers in the next few months on the forums with different concerns as it related to all. The plan starts with pics and text on how to use a truck scale, etc, and proceeds from there. I expect info from those different forums to give me new things to look at as a result. One would think that using a scale was like pulling teeth, but fender height measurements are both inaccurate and can be non-repeatable, so I don't understand a/the general resistance to using CAT Scales to be accurate.

You might use the group over on the TOWING subforum on Woodalls. There is no substitute for numbers, and there is more to it that the specific ratio of TW seen at the three axle readings as that group can point out.

Glad to see you're familiar with some of the EX fixes. Is it 4WD or 2WD and what tires are working best for you?

So I'll stick my neck out again with: that hitch type is best with maximal loading (resistance to sway is dependent on ideal TW distribution), so the load on the trailer tires being maximized will be a real aid in braking. The combined rig can stop faster than the EX will when solo if the drums/wiring is brought up to a higher standard.

Depending on the brake controller used, one can have the TT brakes come in earlier, not just harder. The combo of verified WD and brake dial-in is a genuine FE win, too.

Least mount of time/distance/effort for driver inputs is directly related to best FE as remaining lane-centered and upright is the game where TV-TT alignment under all circumstances is the test.

Establishing the best mechanical baseline precedes both miles-reduction to accomplish the same work (trip plan) as well as improved driver technique.

Let me know your interest. Maybe we could come up with a thread to these ends to record our own numbers & changes as a guideline to others. I've run into another man on another forum who may be fulltiming with diesel truck and TT who might also contribute.

Hppe this now sounds more inviting.

It is a 4wd but not lifted (except what the RAS added) and my tires are Pirelli Scorpion ATRS but those will be switched soon. Michelin LTX MS/2 E is on the list, also may switch with my work truck tires when we et near home in July. They are Firestone Destinations E rated, I like those but they seem to wear fast with 80 psi.

I have a Prodigy brake controller that has served me well. The brakes on the TT are self adjusting but next time we move I might adjust them a bit anyway.

I have been doing better with mileage most tanks around 18-18.5 mostly city by slowing down and coasting more.

Thanks