View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #141 (permalink)
Grant-53
Master EcoModder

Craig, I agree. Safety first. When in doubt sit it out. A VW van was blown off the Sunshine Bridge in Tampa years ago. Aircraft are affected by cross winds and pilots use the rudders to compensate. The control surfaces of a land vehicle are the tire patches. The two designs I posted have rounded sides and profiles that I believe would work well as starting points for streamlining. The physics involved including lean angles and moments of inertia must be taken seriously for good results. Just the small difference in weight distribution between a scooter and a sport bike in streamlined body work is noticeable. The effects of the difference in curve radius from top to bottom in cross section and the height of the center of mass has not been studied widely enough. The principle is the same though, with the rounded edge leading and the fin edge down wind. We are on a learning curve bringing threads of development together to advance in a new direction. In my lifetime I have seen the aerodynamic development of open wheeled race cars go from simple cylinders on skinny tires to sophisticated ground effects tubs and inverted wings with wide sticky tires. It would be fascinating to think that a company such as Schweizer Aircraft could make motorcycle and trike bodies for high FE vehicles. I don't presume to have the cubic brains, money, or motorcycle expertise as some of you but I bring what I can to the discussions. For me success may be as simple as selling inexpensive plans for commuter bike fairings or building a human powered drag bike that tops 40 mph in the 1/8 mile.
Building a streamlined motorcycle or upright bicycle is a bit like toasting a marshmallow over a wood fire with your bare fingers. Anyone can do it if they have the patience and pay close attention. Most people will think you are crazy until you show them

Last edited by Grant-53; 06-10-2013 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: Add words