View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 06:26 AM   #23 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
If I am reading this right, it isn't free by any stretch of the imigination.
A one time $2000 fee or you buy one of their top two most expensive offerings does not meet my definition of free.
I'm curious how much gasoline (or diesel) you got at no extra cost with your last car purchase.

The more expensive Teslas have greater range. You're paying for more batteries. Taking that the next logical step: by offering free "fillups" on the longer range vehicles, Tesla is committing itself to providing more KWH. If the cost of the electricity itself were the primary factor, one would think that they'd charge a fee for the longer range cars. But the primary cost is not the electricity; the primary cost is building the charging stations in the first place.
Quote:
Then it only works on teslas, everyone else with a regular affordable, economic EV is SOL.
Not only that, it only works with Tesla's Model S, not their other cars.

It's chicken/egg. Nobody -- not even Tesla -- built cars up until now with the expectation that charging at this rate would be a practical option. If Tesla succeeds in building out this network, you can bet people will start building their electric cars to make use of it.