Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #21 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

...the next post-apocalyptic Mad Max would choose a black hi-po extra-range run-flat tired zombie plow bumpered - Tesla Model X - running from one Supercharger to another!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #22 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
"half-megawatthour batteries – at some of the stations that have solar power"

I should have been more clear, as in I will believe it when I see it.
I didn't say it can't be done, just that its not going to get done because no one is going to be willing to pay for it.
Almost anything is possible with unlimited money.
I bet they will build one of these solar chargers for the photo op, then when the bills for it come due they will realize how expensive and impractile they are and not make that mistake again.
There is no point in having these "half-megawatthour batteries" sitting around when we have a perfectly good power grid that reaches almost everywhere.
I thought the point with these electric cars was to save the environment.

If I am reading this right, it isn't free by any stretch of the imigination.
A one time $2000 fee or you buy one of their top two most expensive offerings does not meet my definition of free.
Then it only works on teslas, everyone else with a regular affordable, economic EV is SOL.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 06-11-2013 at 04:25 PM..
Old 06-12-2013, 06:26 AM   #23 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
If I am reading this right, it isn't free by any stretch of the imigination.
A one time $2000 fee or you buy one of their top two most expensive offerings does not meet my definition of free.
I'm curious how much gasoline (or diesel) you got at no extra cost with your last car purchase.

The more expensive Teslas have greater range. You're paying for more batteries. Taking that the next logical step: by offering free "fillups" on the longer range vehicles, Tesla is committing itself to providing more KWH. If the cost of the electricity itself were the primary factor, one would think that they'd charge a fee for the longer range cars. But the primary cost is not the electricity; the primary cost is building the charging stations in the first place.
Quote:
Then it only works on teslas, everyone else with a regular affordable, economic EV is SOL.
Not only that, it only works with Tesla's Model S, not their other cars.

It's chicken/egg. Nobody -- not even Tesla -- built cars up until now with the expectation that charging at this rate would be a practical option. If Tesla succeeds in building out this network, you can bet people will start building their electric cars to make use of it.

Reply  Post New Thread