Thread: Road rage tales
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
CapriRacer
Tire Geek

This happened in the late 1970's.

I had an early 70's Trans Am. The thing could scoot.

There was an entrance ramp to an expressway (since fixed) where "the merge" distance is pretty short and the entrance ramp turns into an exit ramp for the next street. In other words, if I didn't merge onto the expressway, I could go down the ramp and up the ramp to the next street. Very poor design. This ramp intimidated a lot of people because it was so short.

One morning, I entered the ramp, and found someone stopped at the beginning of "the merge" waiting for traffic to clear - and traffic was heavy. After 2 attempts, she had moved forward to the point where she more or less blocked the exit ramp portion, but had opened a large gap in the entrance portion..

I waited for openings to see if she would take them - and she didn't. So on the third one, I went for it, with the idea if she did too, I would fall in behind her. She didn't.

All is good. Up to the speed limit and cruise to work.

About 3 miles down the road, I hear lots of honking and look around to see what the commotion was about. It was her and she was tailgating me. Of course, I am wondering what happened to the "milktoast" who couldn't find a way to merge. She must have totally lost her cool to be able to catch me after only 3 miles.

She pulls around me and I figure she is going to "check brake" me - which she did - and I pulled into the next lane and floored it. Exited 2 miles later.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!