View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #88 (permalink)
RustyLugNut
Master EcoModder

yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
Sorry, no. Development and application lagged until the necessary electronics were invented to produce a cheap and reliable EFI solution. Ever try working on vintage mechanical FI?
I have a vintage Mercedes with the Bosch CIS ( continuous injection system ). My wife has a later electronic CIS in her Mercedes. Both are a pain to tune in comparison with modern EFI. And both perform much better than carbureted vehicles of the time in both efficiency and emissions. And thus my point - high end cars had the profit overhead to use fuel injection in some form. It was available. However, the market would not bear it in lower end automobiles.

And, modern EFI was brought about by several factors of course. I made the point that increased fuel costs and environmental concerns drove EFI and that is not entirely true. But it certainly accelerated it's implementation as it coincided with electronic advancements. Some third world countries with government controlled fuel prices and no environmental concerns still see many carburetor equipped vehicles sold and operated there.