View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #92 (permalink)
P-hack
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
Rusty, There are studies to indicate that adding hydrogen to a diesel (up to %4) can improve efficiency up to %15 above and beyond the energy in the additional hydrogen, but there are so many variables (and the NOx production jumps up as well). But I don't know how advanced the engines are to begin with, not without gobs of research. If it affect the pressure profile, then so does the newer TDI,s with several infinitesimally small pulses per stroke. If it is a precombustion engine, well those already have lots of room for improvement.

My objection to the test, Rusty, was that they used separate machines and drivers and only one test using the sae protocol. Do you not understand the limitations of that? That does not sound "controlled" to me. They were 1500lbs different?!?

Why did they not specify the differential ratio of the test truck?

The dyno test does not include bsfc for some reason?!? (that would be a terrific starting point for a scientific approach to efficiency)

The "emissions" test only tests opacity, ignoring the spike in NOx

the video "proof" looks like it is more like 11.5 on average, not 11.1, from 13.3 , I calculate a %14 fuel savings from that, for some reason they said 19.8, Sloppiness costs credibility, deal with it, don't give me a @#%@ing lecture about it.

And they do not discuss how they are powering the hho, which does not seem to be completely installed. As well they are idling at test time, was that the extent of the testing of all the other engines?

If your engine makes less particulates, then it would seem to be combusting better, the diesel manufacturers seem to be on top of that, not sure HHO is the solution at this point anyway, nor do I trust anyone selling such a system, with good reason.