Thread: Starter motor
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #26 (permalink)
hawk2100n
EcoModding Apprentice

The 'Vic - '96 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 39.3 mpg (US)
The first couple of posts here were in poor taste... Everyone here has had a light or stop sign jump out in front of them from time to time.

I think most people hit the nail on the head with their bump starting techniques. I will typically bump start a few gears higher as well too. Fifth gear is most common for me as that covers most speeds easily down to about 15 or so miles per hour. The starter will usually only turn the engine over at around 200-300 RPM but thats fast enough for the engine to catch and get going. Thats what I aim for as well. The trick is hitting the sweet spot on the clutch where the engine can spin without completely locking up and getting a feel for what it takes to start the engine. Once it is going I try and rev-match so you arent spinning up the engine with the car.

I never bump start the engine below 3rd. I have done it a couple times in 2nd as an absolute last ditch effort when coming to a stop and 1st on accident. That was violent and I feared that I had damaged my transmission. Stick to 5th gear in the beginning and get used to the feel before going in higher gears when you are moving slower.

Civic Build Thread
Your grammar is appreciated.

3.788 Civic CX final drive, air dam, 1st gen HCH 14" wheels and Michelin Defender 175/65R14 LRR tires