View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Hydraulic clutches are not so great, more prone to fail than an a cable-activated one.
Maybe so, but they're all hydraulic in the 1992-2000 years, so unless he wants to fabricate a shifter mechanism...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda View Post
I drive this car 90% of the time on the highway, I found a used transmission from 1999 civic, I may buy it if I can't find one from VX or CX. Thanks a lot for the link.
Then I can see why taller gearing is a high priority. I do relatively little freeway driving, but I wanted to do more and I needed a replacement trnas, so I got this 1993 CX tranny.

It matters which 1999 Civic it is that you're looking at. The freeway cruising rpms will vary by something like 13%. If you're going to do the swap, might as well get the best bang possible. The EX had the shortest final drive gear and the HX, CX, and DX Hatch had the tallest final drive gears in those year (1996-2000). All the Civics had the same 4th and 5th gear in 1996-2000. So here is the test you can try to see if you have one of the taller geared or one of the shorter geared trannys: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post319503. Using that test, an EX (short gears) will make about 3.86 turns in 4th (pointing at about 10 o'clock) and a HX, CX, or DX hatch trans will make 3.38 turns (pointing at maybe 4 o'clock).

james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (06-26-2013)