View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwichse View Post
Jeez, just look at what they've been doing to the Fit M/T!

Top gear ratio just gets worse and worse from 2007.

Sam
Right? Makes you wonder what can be done with custom gearing or better yet whether 1990s gears, any of them, might be adaptable, swappable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
Really?!! I didn't realize they further shortened the final drive in the '12 model Fit. Makes sense (in the weird honda engineer world) because they added some sound-proofing weight.
Amazing to see it tabulated like this, huh? Brings clarity. But if you could combined the 07/08 FD with the 09-present fifth gear, you'd be close to a 1990s Civic DX (but not quite there).

Quote:
For the record, the 1st gen Fit went from 2002(3?) to 2008, but was only here in the USA for 07-08. '12 is a cosmetic makeover of the 2nd gen which started in 09.
Do you have a citation? Because when I looked into it, I found claims that the 07 model year introduced here in late '06 is regarded as second generation. I don't really believe that, and my gut agrees with you, but I saw not evidence other than how I might interpret the apparent changes in the gearing.

Quote:
Yep. The gear ratios are bad. It's amazing what you can overcome with pulse & glide, though.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.