View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 01:47 PM   #85 (permalink)
ttoyoda
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Depends on how far away from the center (shaft) the bolts are located. The farther way the more leverage (and less Load) the bolts have on the motor. You could calculate load by multiplying foot lbs exerted by the motor and the % of a foot the bolts are away(SOMEONE CHECK MY MATH I THINK I NEED THE INVERSE) from the center then make an educated decision
But in addition to this shear load I would think you need to look at the tipping load on those spacers. You have an additional tensile load on the bolts (and I think this will be a bigger number than the shear load because the spacers are longer than half their diameter) which is the motor torque divided by the radius from the motor shaft to the spacer ring, multiplied by the length of the spacer divided by half the spacer diameter, divided by the number of spacers. Assuming I did that right but I don't guarantee it. Then add something for safety (I am ass-u-ming those Al bar spacers we saw go between the bell housing and the mounting plate, if not, please ignore this)